Very loud droning at the front

Anything F-Type related......
Garymg

Post by Garymg »

Hello people.

Just got back from a local garage who couldn't find an issue with a droning and humming which starts at about 40mph and progressively gets obtrusively loud at (let's call it 70mph). Ftype s with 40K. Tyres are all good I'm told. Came on all of a sudden last week. Slide into N at any speed and the noise is the same and completely speed-dependent, the higher the speed = much more noise. It seems low mileage for wheel bearings. I hear the dif issue is a whine so fingers crossed that's not it. Any known issues before I try another garage? Much appreciated.

Elibomrod

Post by Elibomrod »

Wonder if it’s a loose bit of trim…
Forces due to wind and turbulence def go massively with speed

I’d get it up on a ramp at a friendly garage and check all the under trays etc
If you have a leaf blower you could point it underneath on full blast

Although you’d think where you sent in would have checked that first

Sounds like sound level is car speed not engine speed related - guess could drive shaft/diff etc

Could put into neutral a see if changes at all
2017 V6 S AWD in silver
Elibomrod

Post by Elibomrod »

See you’ve tried neutral - my bad
2017 V6 S AWD in silver
Moss

Post by Moss »

Possibly loose undertray, as mentioned?

If bearing/drive shaft/etc., I suspect you may have noticed a gradual “build-up” in the noise?
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.
Rikochet

Post by Rikochet »

Okay, I'll bite. Is it the other half?
2020 (MY21) F-Type R Coupe
British Racing Green
Kev

Post by Kev »

What brand of tyres are fitted? Is the noise the same on different road surfaces?
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
Garymg

Post by Garymg »

Kev wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:23 pm What brand of tyres are fitted? Is the noise the same on different road surfaces?
Avons. Same tyres as before the drone. few months old. All surfaces are the same.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I had one noisy front wheel bearing at 50,000 miles. Was a sort of rubbing noise. Was worse on bends or steep camber.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

You don’t say if it’s 2/4WD, engine. All helps diagnose and eliminates various things

Prop shaft is a good one to check out as and very easy. They really do drone and are speed related.
Wheel bearings mentioned and can deteriorate very quickly. You tend not to notice then suddenly you can’t fail to hear it as you tune in.
Check if it’s load related on faster long corners
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Garymg

Post by Garymg »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:13 am You don’t say if it’s 2/4WD, engine. All helps diagnose and eliminates various things

Prop shaft is a good one to check out as and very easy. They really do drone and are speed related.
Wheel bearings mentioned and can deteriorate very quickly. You tend not to notice then suddenly you can’t fail to hear it as you tune in.
Check if it’s load related on faster long corners
Thanks. Its RWD.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post