From a 981 Cayman S to a P450

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
worton

Post by worton »

Hello! As the title says, I've just made the move from a 2013 Porsche Cayman S 981 to a 2020 P450 RWD Coupe and I wanted to share my experience as I've seen a few people looking to make a similar move. TL:DR at the bottom along with a few pics. This is a bit of a ramble so I'm just putting things down as they come to my head.

I'm obviously going to be biased in my opinion but I'll try and keep it as neutral as possible.

Cayman S
I've owned the Cayman for around 1 year, during this time I've covered about 5000 miles both short and long journeys. In my opinion I think the Cayman is overhyped. When I was looking I browsed a lot of forums and read a lot of comments about the Cayman and comparable cars and the consensus was that the Cayman was the superior car, it had A LOT of praise. I found that it was a great car when you really pushed it, but for the rest of the time it was just ok. It didn't really feel very special when just driving normally.

For example the engine sound didn't really come alive until after 5000 rpm which unless you're revving it out all the time you don't get to hear that frequently. Off the back of that the gearing of the PDK meant that you could only rev it out in first and just about second gear before you're up to the speed limit, then you spend the rest of the time in the "boring" part of the rev range.

Saying that though, the PDK was a fantastic gearbox. Very quick to change gears and the feel of the paddles when changing gears was much better than the F-Type. Even by swapping my plastic paddles for aluminium on the F it wouldn't feel anywhere near as nice to change than the PDK.

I think as a sports car or track car it is really good, the cornering ability was impressive and it felt like you pivoted around corners from the middle of the car rather than getting pulled/pushed round like typical engine layout cars, but driving around roads normally it just wasn't great.

It definitely felt like a more raw car, lots of mechanical noises in the cabin and a firm ride meant that it felt like a throw back to the older style cars of less technology, even the electric steering felt like it did a good job of giving feedback. It felt like it was on the right side of old, still very modern enough to use daily and the interior has aged really well, but with the feel of an older more analogue driving experience.

My main dislikes and why I ended up moving on:
- Not that special when driving normally
- Noise from the engine wasn't that great unless redlining it
- The raw feeling inside was fun for a while but ended up getting a bit tedious
- Started to get concerned with reliability as it was a 2013 car with 59,000 miles

F-Type
This brings me on to the P450. It's heavier and doesn't feel nearly as agile as the Porsche, but that was expected. What I didn't expect was that the F is dramatic everywhere! Driving slowly around corners I can kick the back out a bit and it feels really playful, something I couldn't really do with the 981 as well due to its engine layout. The Porsche was serious where as the F isn't. However if you need to go fast and accurate around a bend then the Porsche has you covered.

And then there's the sound. My F has a GPF which I was worried about but wanted the facelift as I prefer the looks of exterior and like the new technology inside. On the drive home from the dealer I was a bit gutted that below 3,500 rpm it was really disappointing. So the second I got the car home I removed fuse 15 for the exhaust flaps and bugger me its a different car. The pops and crackles coming out of the exhaust even creeping along at 1500 rpm in first gear is fantastic! Genuinely must be the best sounding GPF car in existence.

The looks, sound and playfulness of the F when driving at slow speeds is so much more fun than driving the Porsche at the same speeds that I'm so glad I made the move. That was the one thing I wanted in a car, to be able to have fun all the time not just when on the limit.

The interior in the F-Type feels nicer too. Maybe down to age but the Porsche feels functional and that's about it.

Things I don't like about the F:
- Steering feel isn't as nice as the Porsche. The Porsche felt heavier but in a substantial way compared to the F that feels too artificial
- The paddle changes do let the experience down a bit. They're fine but like clicky switches compared to the clunk of the Porsche changes.

TL:DR
Porsche:
- Great performance car when you're pushing on but a bit boring when driving normally.
- Engine noise not particularly great except when revving out
- Revving out was a bit difficult due to the gear ratios meaning you could barely get to the top of second before hitting the speed limit
- Felt raw like an old school car but still new enough to feel like a nice place to be
- The badge, it was nice to own a Porsche but I'm not really a badge snob so moving wasn't an issue. And its not like a Jaguar is a rubbish brand!
- Started to feel old

F-Type:
- Way more fun at normal speeds
- Sound is fantastic even through a GPF once fuse 15 is removed
- Steering is fine, not as good as the Porsche though even though it has electric steering
- Paddle gear changes are a bit weak compared to the Porsche, PDK is better although the ZF is still a great box
- Not as surgical as the Porsche but that's not necessarily a bad thing, depends what you're after
- More GT like than the Porsche which is what I'm after
- Nicer interior

And then some pics:
Before

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

After

20240211_162946.jpg

2020 P450 RWD Coupe in Bluefire Metallic

Andrew24

Post by Andrew24 »

great review on both F-type and Cayman. I was looking at both an ended choosing the F-Type. My wife love the Jag too so this was a win-win.
| MY14 | V6S Coupe | RWD | White | Panoramic roof |
munchie

Post by munchie »

The only thing that I don't like about my Ftype P450 AWD is the artificial steering - i still have an M3 V8 with hydraulic steering and whilst the steering feel is heavier in the M3 it feels more confidence inspiring - i suspect the P450 is electric steering but not sure.. That's my only gripe . I took mine to Viezu for a Stage 1 tune to give it close to 600hp and around 800 nm of torque - the car is manic quick when needed and a doddle to drive when you don't.
worton

Post by worton »

I agree, the steering does feel too artificial. I can live with it but the Porsche was electric also but a much better feel so it's a shame Jaguar couldn't make it work. I was thinking of mapping mine but I can barely get the power down as it is! Maybe when I move to some better tyres...
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

What a great write up - seems absolutely spot on in every comment.

For me the main “needs” for a nice car is that it looks good (not just angry!) and gets admiring glances from all ages; that every drive is an occasion (this includes sound and how you feel behind the wheel); and that this is the case trundling through town and not just coming alive at high speed.

Whilst not claiming it’s the best I do believe that the hydraulic steering on the early cars is lovely, in terms of feel and feedback.

I just have to disagree with you regarding the looks - for me the original Ian Callum penned sharks gill design running from the front side air intake along the bonnet and door, before blending in to the rear wing (and the semi-circular rear lights) can’t be bettered.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

…and welcome!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Good write up, I’ve had both ( well a Boxster and a 991s) and would agree with your comments. Personally never liked the Cayman rear end and have been loaned a few (as a service courtesy) on many occasions. Usually just drove it home and returned it at the end of the day, as you said, at normal speeds it’s just not appealing. Now your Jag.. plus that colour 👍 welcome and enjoy.
Last edited by MikeM on Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
scm

Post by scm »

Welcome to the club! Your list didn't mention "being let into traffic" as a pro for the Jaaaag. :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Welcome, and good choice of colour.

I suspect many on here, myself included, looked at both F-Type and Cayman/Boxster/911 before coming to a decision.

Your post definitely justifies why I made the choice though. First and foremost I've been in love with the F-Type since it first debuted, but I also wanted a V8 before it was too late to experience one - to feel the drama all the time.
Like the Cayman (although a very different experience), it was what disappointed me the most about my 2017 Golf R. Unless you were "on it", it might as well of just been any old Golf on the road. The key difference though is that's kind of the point with a Golf R/GTI. They are meant to be everyday cars that can be transformed on a back road. Not so much for a Cayman so I'm both surprised and then again not by your comments on it.

On reflection though, it definitely makes sense that a car that is meant to be the pinnacle of the driving experience would need to be pushed towards the limits to be enjoyed more. I'd also read a few issues about the gearing and how you don't get to enjoy the engine on normal roads. Apparently it's even worse for the manual. Sadly, the chase for better numbers, faster speeds, faster acceleration, lap times etc has all come at the cost of real world driving. I'd much rather have a car that does 0-60 two seconds slower and needs 4 gear changes before hitting 70, than one that hits 60 in 4 seconds but you only change once.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
worton

Post by worton »

100% agree that numbers aren't everything and in some cases they take away some of the fun. I've had a fair few JCW MINIs and fast they were not but they were plenty of fun. After the Porsche I was considering going for something slow but fun such as an MX5 or GR86, but they didn't have the "something special" appeal of the F or the Supra that I was also considering. Then after discovering how fun and dramatic the F is even while driving slow, I'm very happy with the decision I have made. Also I'm so glad I didn't go for the Supra, getting one nearly new and having the warranty was appealing for the same price as my p450 but I think it wouldn't have nearly as much character

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post