Will removing the fuse 15 cause loss of torque?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Barend

Post by Barend »

With the active exhaust on and the engine still running, I removed fuse 15 and revved the engine in place to test it. The exhaust sound did change, but the difference seems minimal. Would this cause power loss at lower rpms?
MY21 | P300

elugelab

Post by elugelab »

No. With Dynamic mode on my car has the valves open all the time, same as if you pulled the fuse. Opening up the exhaust valves will not change the engine's performance.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
scm

Post by scm »

On the latest models (not sure if this applies to yours) removing F15 fixes the valves in whatever state they are in when the fuse is removed - you have to make sure the valves are open when you remove the fuse. Apparently the new facelift models have different behaviour than the earlier ones, which do leave the valves open when F15 (or F43 if even earlier) is removed.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Madlil

Post by Madlil »

I pulled fuse 15 in my 2019 P380 this morning and got an amber engine warning light for my troubles. Popped the fuse back and the light stayed on so had the fault code reset at my local indie. Just a heads up for anyone thinking of doing this in a 2019 onwards model. The mod does work, but I do prefer having the active exhaust button to change modes.
2019 F Type Convertible P380 AWD Indus Silver
2023 Tesla Model Y
davidls

Post by davidls »

I have a MY21 P575. I had started the car and had the active exhaust button pressed and valves open. I pulled fuse 15 had no warning lights, the difference in noise at low revs is night and day, sounds amazing all the time rather than at higher revs. Popped the fuse back in on getting home as it has its first MOT next Friday. Definitely taking the fuse out as soon as it’s home after the MOT, it’s even better than before 🤗
MY21 F-Type R P575 AWD Coupe. Portofino Blue, panoramic roof, exterior black design pack, climate pack, Meridian surround sound system, privacy glass.
Madlil

Post by Madlil »

davidls wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:55 pm I have a MY21 P575. I had started the car and had the active exhaust button pressed and valves open. I pulled fuse 15 had no warning lights, the difference in noise at low revs is night and day, sounds amazing all the time rather than at higher revs. Popped the fuse back in on getting home as it has its first MOT next Friday. Definitely taking the fuse out as soon as it’s home after the MOT, it’s even better than before 🤗
Strange that I triggered a fault code. I’ll buy an icarsoft off in the coming weeks and test this again and check the code. The indie said there was definitely an exhaust vacuum error code logged. Plus a few old battery related codes as the car had been standing a few months before I bought it.
2019 F Type Convertible P380 AWD Indus Silver
2023 Tesla Model Y
davidls

Post by davidls »

I think the exhaust valves are electric from MY21?
MY21 F-Type R P575 AWD Coupe. Portofino Blue, panoramic roof, exterior black design pack, climate pack, Meridian surround sound system, privacy glass.
worton

Post by worton »

I have a 20 plate facelift p450 and on day 2 removed the fuse when it was powered off. No warning lights over the last month and the sound is fantastic compared to before. Post facelift behaviours is different to pre facelift so something to keep in mind
2020 P450 RWD Coupe in Bluefire Metallic
Barend

Post by Barend »

davidls wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:55 pm I have a MY21 P575. I had started the car and had the active exhaust button pressed and valves open. I pulled fuse 15 had no warning lights, the difference in noise at low revs is night and day, sounds amazing all the time rather than at higher revs. Popped the fuse back in on getting home as it has its first MOT next Friday. Definitely taking the fuse out as soon as it’s home after the MOT, it’s even better than before 🤗
I removed fuse 15 in the same order as you, and then turned on the dynamic mode. I heard the sound still changed and seemed to become deeper. Is it the sound coming from the stereo?
MY21 | P300
Dynamic Dek

Post by Dynamic Dek »

I have MY21 P450, you can see the exhaust valves. These are operated electrically, not by vacuum and therefore remain in the current open or closed state when the fuse is pulled.
Normally these are open when the engine is switched off, confirm visually valves are open and pull fuse 15.
P450 21MY Firenze Red

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post