New Member from Somerset

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

Well after some time searching I found one which ticked all the boxes bar the external colour but the rare tan interior more than makes up for that!

It’s an early V8S with relatively low mileage and the previous owner seemed like a lovely chap and was only selling due to moving abroad. It comes with jaguar history throughout and had the big service the year before last with the belts changed.

The only issues are that the vents do not raise or retract (currently in the raised position permanently), the start/stop button and steering wheel paddles are sticky to touch and the paint needs some correction where the previous owner used what must have been an old sponge to clean the car.

Overall I’m really made up and looking forward to a fun summer with the top down! ;)

IMG_3009.jpeg

IMG_3010.jpeg

paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Looks like a stunner! The paint swirls are often called love marks in the detailing world. The paint on these is very soft so easy to correct if you fancy giving it a go yourself. I'd happily answer any questions and give you a bit of a how to if you need it. Doing it yourself is definitely more satisfying and if you do end up with minor scratches they're easy to correct yourself instead of paying for it to be re-detailed. I got quoted £800 by a company in Exeter.
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
Kev

Post by Kev »

There are various threads on here regarding the vents and sticky buttons, both easy fixes. There is a menu setting for the vent so that it’s permanently deployed so it may be worth looking at this first
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

Thanks folks. I cut polished and waxed our black G55 AMG and after that vouched never to buy a black car again for fear of having to do the same again. I guess I’ll have a go at this one unless I can find a decent quote locally.

It’s been terrible weather but I’ve still found the time to give it a wash and started to work on the tail pipes. More work needed but they are starting to look better already.

IMG_3032.jpeg

I’ve also managed to find time to clean the seats with leather cleaner. The state of the steering wheel was quite bad which was the catalyst to start cleaning. Looking much the same but feeling much better to the touch.

IMG_3019.jpeg

IMG_3033.jpeg

Post by paddy1000111 »

Looks good! If you fancy giving ceramic coating a go I can highly reccomend carpro cquartz UK 3.0 as its easy to apply and seems to last for me!

Picsart_24-02-21_19-07-10-679.jpg

2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

After being away for a few days over Easter I have come back and have started to fettle with the car. The roof has now been cleaned and fabsil gold applied which gives a satisfying beading effect. Dodging in and out of the showers I had to do this over 2 days and it was interesting to see the difference in the evening with only half covered.

IMG_3057.jpeg

Then yesterday I took the opportunity of a break in the rain to wash and clay bar the car and swap it into the garage for some paint work. Before doing the paint I cleaned up in the engine bay since there had been a build up of detritus in crevices which would likely attract moisture and then encourage corrosion. To save the bolts from corroding I have coated them with Dinitrol 77B which I had from undersealing another car recently.

IMG_3362.jpeg

After having quotes around the £1k mark for sorting the paint I thought I’d make the saving and have another go myself. Starting at around 2pm and finishing in the early hours of the next morning with about an hour break, I had forgotten how time consuming cutting the paint work is! I would say I have managed to shift approximately 90% of scratches and all swirl marks. I’m now ready to attack it with the polish and wax. Does anyone have any hits or tips on how to clean around the badges especially on the spoiler? I have some cotton ear buds that I have used but they don’t seem to do enough. I’m considering removing them altogether and just putting new badges on.

Having considered ceramic coating I think that given the amount of use the car is going to have and being that it will be off the road in the winter months, using wax will give it a better lustre. If you think ceramic coating is better then let me know why. I’m open to ceramic coating but I’m loathed to coat over and lock in the remaining scratches left on the car.

IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3405.jpeg

I’m not aiming for perfection but want to get rid of the haze of swirls which were covering the car.

Post by MajorTom »

Nice job on the paintwork there! Makes one wonder how the previous owner treated and cleaned the car to manage to mess the paint up like that.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

Thanks Major Tom. It is a drawn out process but worth it with as much of a change as this has gone through.

Last night I set about installing an apple car play unit that I took a punt on from Ali Express. I didn’t realise that the back of the cabin had to be taken apart to get to the headunit but after sorting this and checking it all before putting it back together to my relief it works really well. Next on the list of things to sort was the rising vents which were ceased open. After taking this apart and sanding down the necessary parts and greasing them it works now which is great news!

After this the sun came out so I thought I’d take a photo or two before putting the number plates back on the car.

I’ve since buffed the exhaust tips within an inch of their lives. Now it is just a case of enjoying it!

IMG_3485.jpeg

IMG_3513.jpeg

IMG_3510.jpeg

One point of note that someone better informed may be able to answer is whether a speaker can simply be added to the rising vent where there is a space for the higher spec system? It would appear that there is wiring there and I was wondering if one can simply be plugged in or if it is much more involved than this.

IMG_3488.jpeg

Post by Jaguandy »

Personally I wouldn't bother adding a centre speaker even if the system can be made to drive it. Even an upgraded speaker on mine sounds coloured and spoils the sound quality, so I use just the stereo setting rather than surround.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
KM69MZX

Post by KM69MZX »

... many many passes driven and enjoyed, the swiss ones were the best for me...
Give Grossglockner heading south from Innsbruck a try. You won't be disappointed :D

DSC_0251.jpg

MY2018, P380, AWD in British Racing Green 🥰

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post