PPF pre cut kits?

Anything F-Type related......
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Hi all,

I've got a couple of quotes for PPF and the figure is eye watering. I'm basically trying to protect it from stone chips on the sills. I get that PPF isn't cheap but has anyone purchased a pre-cut kit? Plenty of companies making kits and considering I install it on planes in my job, I don't think the cost reflects the work involved when you consider a pre cut 3M kit is ~£80 incl vat and I'm being quoted ~£450+VAT for just the sills.

Anyone used a pre cut kit on a 2016 shape V6S that they can reccomend?
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Try a few more detailers for quotes. 450 is way high for just the sills.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Jaguandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:21 pm Try a few more detailers for quotes. 450 is way high for just the sills.
That's the cheapest, most expensive so far was £510+VAT 👎 I'm waiting for more quotes to come in but it's looking like a Saturday job at the moment! I just can't see how it's basically £400 in labour.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I've seen ads for partial front end PPF for 395 plus VAT. Sills should be less? I wouldn't try doing a front myself but the sills alone I would at those prices. Prep is very important of course, but my PPF sills are usually covered in road dirt as soon as I venture out.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

I’m just having some OEM side skirts fitted. As part of the job the sill panel covers & the lower wings are being painted too.

Did look at PPF, to protect the new paint, but also think it’ll end up quite pricey for what it is.

Normally no problem paying for work on my car but this could be an easy DIY job.

Just speccing out the best PPF film to purchase & watching a few YouTube videos. Considering cutting the stuff myself 🙏😀
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

DaddyDarren wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:08 pm I’m just having some OEM side skirts fitted. As part of the job the sill panel covers & the lower wings are being painted too.

Did look at PPF, to protect the new paint, but also think it’ll end up quite pricey for what it is.

Normally no problem paying for work on my car but this could be an easy DIY job.

Just speccing out the best PPF film to purchase & watching a few YouTube videos. Considering cutting the stuff myself 🙏😀
I did also consider cutting it myself but the price of the large sheets of film are far higher than the pre cut pieces from what I could find. Probably because they can get many pre cuts out of one piece with good software. Maybe I'll roll the dice and report my results if no-one has purchased a kit before.

If I do go uncut, what products have you looked at? I've been keen to go with 3m scotchgard
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

paddy1000111 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm
DaddyDarren wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:08 pm I’m just having some OEM side skirts fitted. As part of the job the sill panel covers & the lower wings are being painted too.

I did also consider cutting it myself but the price of the large sheets of film are far higher than the pre cut pieces from what I could find. Probably because they can get many pre cuts out of one piece with good software. Maybe I'll roll the dice and report my results if no-one has purchased a kit before.

If I do go uncut, what products have you looked at? I've been keen to go with 3m scotchgard
There’s all sorts of stuff on eBay. Thought I was looking at 3M but then realised it was a 3M roll 😂

I’ll have a good look later 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I've not applied PPF but done a fair bit or wrapping with CF and similar effects. I assume PPF has similarities, but being much thicker and heavier to be more effective absorbing impacts, will be harder to apply and work with.
My experience is that small and simple contoured areas are easy, but complex curves take a lot of effort and time as an amateur to get right.

I'd feel that sills would be easy enough to do, albeit uncomfortable on the floor, so would remove them and work on a bench with clamps. If you have sideskirts to cover or even just because fitted, then I'd say much more difficult due to the complex angles and profiles to work with.

If cheap enough I'd buy a kit, have a go and if it all goes wrong roll it into a ball, bin it and rethink. If it works then bask in the success and saving :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
BlueICE

Post by BlueICE »

I bought and installed "3M Scotchguard PRO 200 Series" bumper, headlight and rocker pre-cut kits from invisiblemask.com for my 17 SVR a few years ago. The price was reasonable and the fit was perfect for all pieces. The cut PPF pieces came with enough separation on the backing material to scissor cut each backing piece into it's own since the PPF was already removed from the backing material in the areas outside of the pattern cuts. The cuts were spot on, and allowed for slight stretch to roll over the edges in areas, if desired. I installed everything in an afternoon (think ~6 hours), plus I added small self-cut PPF in a few other places like behind the rear wheels, rear diffuser behind the tires, etc. I was very impressed with the quality, and the PPF looks great on the car (really is nearly completely "invisible", so I guess a good choice in naming the company).
17MY SVR Ultra Blue CCB
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

BlueICE wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:30 pm I bought and installed "3M Scotchguard PRO 200 Series" bumper, headlight and rocker pre-cut kits from invisiblemask.com for my 17 SVR a few years ago. The price was reasonable and the fit was perfect for all pieces. The cut PPF pieces came with enough separation on the backing material to scissor cut each backing piece into it's own since the PPF was already removed from the backing material in the areas outside of the pattern cuts. The cuts were spot on, and allowed for slight stretch to roll over the edges in areas, if desired. I installed everything in an afternoon (think ~6 hours), plus I added small self-cut PPF in a few other places like behind the rear wheels, rear diffuser behind the tires, etc. I was very impressed with the quality, and the PPF looks great on the car (really is nearly completely "invisible", so I guess a good choice in naming the company).
Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look! I've also emailed a company called Aliath. They're about a 30 minute drive from me and they offer pre-cut kits for various areas. The prices seem low, £80 for a full bumper, £75 for skirts, £60 for bonnet tip. I can't see my skirt style on their website, they all seem to be the extended sills so waiting to hear from them about my shape. For the price I'll probably do the lot and if it goes well I'll take a load of photos and post up a guide/review. I was quoted £1116+VAT for bumper, bonnet front wings and sills so if I can do the lot for £250 myself then I'll take it.