Pops and bangs illegal in the UK?

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
WShudds

Post by WShudds »

News from my neck of woods. So-called pop bang exhausts could now be illegal to use in the UK following a landmark court ruling.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... fications/

Never heard of noise cameras being in operation in the UK and wonder if the rule discussed in the report could affect any of us running with the sports exhaust on?
MY18 Manual :o P340 R-Dynamic RWD Coupe, Caldera Red on 19˝ Centrifuge wheels. Pzero. Mods: Reverse camera, interior/puddle lights and tinted windows.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I recall seeing this 1+ year ago. It is more about after market exhausts and not OEM factory fitted.

The original 2015 R's were recorded at 84db drive by noise.
The max limit for drive by noise was reduced in 2016 to 72db for cars made after 2017. F-Types were recorded at 74db in 2017 prompting for Jaguar Campaign H239 of which three versions came out.

H239 V1 in 2018 so cars forget dynamic mode at each ignition cycle.

H239 V2 in 2020 to keep exhaust valves closed below around 1500rpm regardless of mode.

H239 V3 in 2022 which I don't think we have any information on!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

I'll stick with my old MY2015 I think for the noise then :).
| MY15 | V6S Coupe | RWD | Italian Racing Red | Perf. Seats & Wheel | Pano Roof |
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Eclipse83 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:20 am I'll stick with my old MY2015 I think for the noise then :).
Same here, it's stock. Fight me 😂

In all honesty though, I don't think your going to get pulled unless you frequent McDonald's car park at 1am with a large group of Vauxhall corsas which I don't think any of us do.
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:51 pm The original 2015 R's were recorded at 84db drive by noise.
The max limit for drive by noise was reduced in 2016 to 72db for cars made after 2017. F-Types were recorded at 74db in 2017 prompting for Jaguar Campaign H239 of which three versions came out.

H239 V1 in 2018 so cars forget dynamic mode at each ignition cycle.

H239 V2 in 2020 to keep exhaust valves closed below around 1500rpm regardless of mode.

H239 V3 in 2022 which I don't think we have any information on!
Briliant information! However, I think that V1 additionally introduced the 1500 rpm valve opening limit in non-dynamic mode since mine now does that and used to open at tickover before (I only have v1 installed). The valves still open fully at tickover in dynamic mode.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Pilot Pete

Post by Pilot Pete »

On a related note, are 200 cell cats road legal and can you get your car through the MOT with them fitted? I’ve trawled google and can’t find anything for the F-Type. Plenty for other makes saying they are. I have noted the ‘only for track use’ comment/ disclaimer on the Paramount Performance website.
2015 F Type V6S coupe in French Racing Blue
Exterior style pack
Panoramic roof
Upgraded brakes
19” Centrifuge wheels
Sports seats
Flat bottomed, heated steering wheel
Independent climate control
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The exhaust must be operating correctly and the car must pass the emissions test.

Other than that the test guidance says:

You must use your judgement to assess exhaust noise:

During the emissions test for the vehicle rev the engine to around 2,500rpm or half the maximum engine speed if this is lower on vehicles not subject to an emissions test.

Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you’d expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Edit. Which is why I think V3 of H239 is going to keep valves shut for longer regardless of mode.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Pilot Pete

Post by Pilot Pete »

Mmmn. So the loudness is subjective. What about emissions test? Would a car with 200 cell cats fail that part of the MOT?
2015 F Type V6S coupe in French Racing Blue
Exterior style pack
Panoramic roof
Upgraded brakes
19” Centrifuge wheels
Sports seats
Flat bottomed, heated steering wheel
Independent climate control
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Pilot Pete wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:10 pm Mmmn. So the loudness is subjective. What about emissions test? Would a car with 200 cell cats fail that part of the MOT?
Take a look at the online MOT handbook which is a really useful bible for all elements of the test. Always current and searcheable
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... l-vehicles

Section 8.2.1.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
This is an easy catch all if the tester wants to fail it:
You should reject all vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2002, where original emissions control equipment components are missing, obviously modified or obviously defective.

Section 8.2.1.2
This shows a series of flowcharts the tester has to follow.
Frankly only folks who have put a 200 cell cat on the same engine through an MOT can give a good indication of any advisories or fails as it's all 'on the day' assessment

Overall I've seen this regulation before and it's really after the folks who have fitted the aftermarket devices which inject significant amounts of fuel into the system on overrun.
I don't see anyone objecting to a factory standard early F Type, hence never changing mine :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post