Anti-Gravity Lithium Battery

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

paddy1000111 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:50 am Has anyone got any feedback from the long term on these? I've just put a new OEM battery in mine after it failed after 8 years of service. Considering the costs etc are they effective? I've not had great experiences with lithium ion battery packs as they don't seem to handle cold/hot fluctuations
You should be ok for another 8 years or so then!

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the Anti-Gravity Lithium-ion battery, some of which are included in the link provided by scm earlier in this topic.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... ed-251164/

Personally, I doubt very much that I would change from OEM spec for the following reasons....

1. The OEM battery is doing a perfectly good job and the weight of it isn’t an issue.

2. I don’t want to mess with the manufacturer’s ‘Optimum Weight Distribution’ for the car (shown in my earlier post).

3. The F-TYPE has a complex electrical system so I’d rather not take any chances.

4. The total price of the OEM battery for my car is around £300. From what I can see, the OP has paid around £1,000 for the Anti-Gravity-H8-60-RS battery.

Hope all goes well with the fitment of the AG battery in the OP’s car and the topic provides him with any issues to look out for etc.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

paddy1000111 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:50 am Has anyone got any feedback from the long term on these? I've just put a new OEM battery in mine after it failed after 8 years of service. Considering the costs etc are they effective? I've not had great experiences with lithium ion battery packs as they don't seem to handle cold/hot fluctuations
I’m trying to find out as mine is being fitted next week!

Cannot see there being any issue with power supply to the car. Voltage is voltage. What I’m worried about is the alternator/charging of lithium instead of Lead/Acid. Going to speak to AG UK & see what they say.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

DaddyDarren wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:13 pm Cannot see there being any issue with power supply to the car. Voltage is voltage. What I’m worried about is the alternator/charging of lithium instead of Lead/Acid. Going to speak to AG UK & see what they say.
Search result.....“Can a Car Alternator Charge a Lithium-ion Battery?” https://cellsaviors.com/blog/alternator ... um-battery

It says the alternator cannot fully charge a Lithium battery in two ways. The first involves the voltage and the second involves the charge cycle and is much more important. However, it also says.....“A common solution to this is every so often charging the battery pack through a DIY lithium battery charger or through a CC/CV bench power supply. Doing an occasional full charge of the pack helps maintain life and will help to keep the battery pack in balance.”

I see you’ve already bought a CTEK Lithium battery charger.

The ‘Antigravity H8/Group-49 Car Battery’ https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co. ... ttery.html
has a ‘built-in battery management system’ for safety and long life (see screenshot). I wonder if this would have any affect on the F-TYPE’s ‘battery monitoring system’ (BMS) control module which is mounted on the battery negative terminal? The BMS control module is integral with the battery negative cable and is controlled by the GWM (Gateway Module).

1.png

Last edited by RPSN on Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Kev

Post by Kev »

Personally I can't see the point of dropping a grand on a battery to save a few kilo's of weight on a road car, a track day car then yes. A YouTube Sparky used to minimise the amount of fuel he put in his van because one of his mates said that the extra weight would affect his fuel economy (true) but then goes and slings two or three drums of cable in the back which adds 30kg+ negating any savings, then there would be an increased frequency and time wasted for fuel stops :roll:

[devilsadvocate]Does having a lithium-ion battery in the back of your car do anything to the insurance as they may consider it an increased risk because of thermal runaway?[/devilsadvocate]
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Kev wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:21 am Personally I can't see the point of dropping a grand on a battery to save a few kilo's of weight on a road car
It's much cheaper and probably more beneficial to go on the ‘SlimFast Plan’ for a few weeks! :lol:
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

If you were building a car for track days wouldn't it make more sense to just put a motorbike size battery in it and then start it with a jump pack? Works out about 15-17kg lighter than the lipo battery and around £900 cheaper :lol:
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Thank you RPSN for the info. I’ve spoken to both AG UK & Dan who looks after my car at Elite & Performance Jags. Paul at AG sounds a very decent bloke. He did own an F-Type himself but by his own admission, didn’t fit in it. I wish he did still own it as he said he’d have put a AG in it!

Dan is going to fit a new Jaguar OEM battery this Wednesday during MOT & service. The Stop/Start has ‘stopped’ working so new battery certainly required.

Don’t think I want to risk anything untoward happening to my pride & joy. I like to push the envelope but electrics are not one of them.

Might be a lithium battery for sale 🤣
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I think you’re making the right decision there!

I was going to ask why don’t you return the Anti-Gravity battery for a refund as you’ve paid a wedge for it (approx £1,000)? If you bought it from 'Antigravity Batteries uk' I can now see why as this is their ‘Returns’ policy..... https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/returns.html

Hope you can sort something out.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RPSN wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm I think you’re making the right decision there!

I was going to ask why don’t you return the Anti-Gravity battery for a refund as you’ve paid a wedge for it (approx £1,000)? If you bought it from 'Antigravity Batteries uk' I can now see why as this is their ‘Returns’ policy..... https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/returns.html

The refund policy is crazy, but doesn’t change the rights under CCL to return items. Perhaps need to pay shipping, assuming of course you didn’t buy weeks ago.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:48 pm
RPSN wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm I think you’re making the right decision there!

The refund policy is crazy, but doesn’t change the rights under CCL to return items. Perhaps need to pay shipping, assuming of course you didn’t buy weeks ago.
Unfortunately the ccl rights mean a seller can issue you a credit note which is BS I think 🙄
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post