JayEmm testing the P300

Anything F-Type related......
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Another good review by this gentleman. I'm just a bit surprised that he didn't get more noise out of it, especially since the exhaust apparently was modded to be louder. The P300s I've driven didn't sound good either but seemed to make more noise than this.

MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

Keith666

Post by Keith666 »

I was quite surprised by the rather muted sound of the p300 he was driving to. I have a newer P300 and of course it’s chalk n cheese to the V6, but I still get a noticeable burble and pops , crackles on overrun.
A neighbour a few doors down has a Porsche 718 and its exhaust notes are unremarkable. Those pesky engineers at Jaguar have done a good job, although they have piped some “ artificial “ sounds into the cabin to.
Reims Edition,MY21, French racing blue, pano roof, 20” Black spoke Wheels, heated this and that, dual climate, Union jag pack.
Previous P250 R Dynamic XE
relaxitscool

Post by relaxitscool »

Yeah I have to agree re the noise, although like him I suspect it's piped in. Sounds fairly good to me but then I haven't experienced a V engine in these.

He's clearly a knowledgeable guy, but I've never really got on with his reviews, I can't put my finger on it but after watching a few I ended up giving him a miss.
MY19 P300
Caldera red, black pack
Celtic Engine and Gearbox remap.
Other bits and bobs with more to follow..
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

relaxitscool wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:13 am Yeah I have to agree re the noise, although like him I suspect it's piped in. Sounds fairly good to me but then I haven't experienced a V engine in these.

He's clearly a knowledgeable guy, but I've never really got on with his reviews, I can't put my finger on it but after watching a few I ended up giving him a miss.
I think he's a bit too keen to repeat his personal preferences and prejudices about cars. That puts me off. For example his dislike of the Kamm tail car shape. I really like the Kamm shape and have had a few. I welcome his thoughts on how a car feels and drives but his opinion on general car shapes is quite his own business and he should know that that's quite immaterial when others watching think and know differently. It's a particularly subjective matter.

The other thing that winds me up about him is his repetition of his gripe about the supposedly V8 derived block in the V6. It doesn't really matter to me. When you drill down into any car you'll find things that aren't quite as 'pure' as you'd imagine - platform sharing, shared body panels, parts bin stuff, Ford Focus components on Lamborghinis.........does it really matter?

That said I still watch his videos, selectively, for the good things in them. I've seen this car on YouTube before as it's owned by the vlogger Maz. I was considering a 300, and watched his videos while deliberating which way to go, but I'm glad I got the V6. The overall induction and exhaust sound, coupled with the sound and power delivery that the supercharger effects, gives it more character, in my opinion.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Hmm, I guess the P300 also has that rather useless symposer fitted then.

I think he makes interesting and amusing reviews and think that expressing personal preferences is part of the package although I often also disagree with some of his preferences and comments. What's a bit unusual about him is that he's a petrolhead who never really seemed to get the F-Type entirely although he tested many of them. For instance, what other car guy doesn't think that the F-Type is gorgeous from every angle?

Fully agree that caring about the AJ126/133 block setup is rather weird though... comments like that usually seem to come from engineering nerds who have seen the construction drawings online but never driven yet alone owned the cars. I for one don't give a rat's arse about the construction details of an engine as long as it delivers in terms of performance, reliability, sound etc.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
NCE 61

Post by NCE 61 »

I quite like his videos and this was an interesting one being the owner of a P300. The stock exhaust sounds better, well mine does probably because it’s a pre GPF one, not sure if the P300 has a exhaust symposer maybe in later model years.
2018.5 F-Type Convertible 2.0 Litre BRG
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

His delivery gives me a headache, its almost like he has to pronounce every single word with complete and deliberate focus and in a high pitched tone. Its painful.

I normally dont listen or watch his videos because of this, but interested in this one as I have a P300 as well. Dont agree with him either so this is 18mins of my life I wont get back.
2021 Tesla Model3 LR daily driver
2018 F Type P300 for weekend blasts
2004 Fiat Barchetta for European Road trips
relaxitscool

Post by relaxitscool »

Spartacus wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:24 am His delivery gives me a headache, its almost like he has to pronounce every single word with complete and deliberate focus and in a high pitched tone. Its painful.

I normally dont listen or watch his videos because of this, but interested in this one as I have a P300 as well. Dont agree with him either so this is 18mins of my life I wont get back.
😂 Agreed!
MY19 P300
Caldera red, black pack
Celtic Engine and Gearbox remap.
Other bits and bobs with more to follow..
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

I find him a bit hit and miss but overall I'd definitely put him in the above average category. The main thing I like is the fact that he actually tests older cars and more normal cars as well. Every other channel is either super exotic's or new cars only.

As far as him expressing his opinions and prejudices... why is that an issue? You don't have to agree with what he is saying. I think he is bonkers about the Kamm tail car shape as well, but it's his opinion. This isn't some neutral fact only show. The whole point of journalists and youtubers is that they are giving THEIR opinion on a car, whether it's Jeremy Clarkson, Chris Harris, Jason Cammisa, Harry Metcalfe or Jay Emm. They can spout the facts all they want but ultimately it comes down to do THEY like it. One of them might think the ride is too hard, the other too soft, one might love the looks, one might find it indifferent. It's their opinions and personalities that make it worth watching/reading. Take that away and you might as well just read the manufacturers press release.

As far as the V6 engine thing, I agree he harps on about it too much. Okay, yes, I understand his point that it could be considered "lazy" engineering and/or cost cutting, but ultimately it really doesn't matter. The V6 is reliable, has plenty of power and torque, drives great and sounds amazing, so who gives a shit beyond that.

As far as the P300... I'm sorry guys who own it, but as far as I am concerned you only get that one for financial reasons. Outside of that the only thing that I can come up with is that you like how the car looks but aren't really fussed about the character of the engine and the sound that comes with it.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I'd quite like to try a P300 out of curiosity, just to see what it's like, as I've owned the V6 and V8. Might see if I can blag one when mine goes in for service to complete the picture.

His observations on running costs are what I would have expected. Whilst our 2 litre XE is cheaper to run/tax/insure, being something like 20% less than a V8 F type. Which seems the same as for a P300 F type. But that will depend on circumstances like age and driving record for insurance, as well as location given some countries clobber large engines with taxes. Friend of mine was in LA (California USA not Littlehampton UK) last year and saw loads of P300s on the roads there, which was a bit of a surprise in the land of the V8.

JayEmm has never been a fan of the Ftype, he seems more positive in this review than previous ones though. It's the XK8 that floats his boat. But then we're all different as I've never wanted an XK8 (or a boat). I'd feel like I'd borrowed my dad's car, even at my age!

He's OK to watch like many others and it's good to get different perspectives. At least he focuses on normal driving rather than sideways track stuff etc. For me, I find Harry Metcalf is the most watchable, pretty much spot on every time.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post