New to forum and would like advice please

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
V8esp

Post by V8esp »

Let me get this right, 42K to spend on a car and worried about mpg and running costs!
Life is too short.. v6s at least and just enjoy it đź‘Ť

NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

V8esp wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:46 pm Let me get this right, 42K to spend on a car and worried about mpg and running costs!
Life is too short.. v6s at least and just enjoy it đź‘Ť
+1
I've had my V6S for almost 5 years now and haven't regretted buying it for a single second! The last thing I worry about is mpg, although I think I'm averaging about 29mpg., which includes a lot of short runs & town driving. At the time of purchase, the annual road tax put me off going as far as a V8.

Btw, stefan9107`s comments are all spot on. Mine doesn't have the pano roof and I can't say I ever think that I wish I had one.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
scm

Post by scm »

NavigatorNI wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:08 amAt the time of purchase, the annual road tax put me off going as far as a V8.

I stuck out for a post 2017 and paid just ÂŁ180 last year now the car no longer attracts the "luxury" supplement. :-)
ÂŁ60 cheaper than my 1.5 Almera!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My 2p.

1. Pano roof. From various searches, the majority of V6 and above have pano roof whereas the majority of 2L don't. I think it's one of those extras, if you never had it you won't miss it but once you've seen one with it, it becomes something you want.

2. Wheel size. I don't see any issues with any wheel size but maybe dynamics on the v6s and above softens the ride. I would recommend test driving as many different versions, engine and otherwise, as possible.

3. Servicing costs are reasonable. MPG is on par with any other car with similar engine and weight.

4. Used prices seemed to be at an all time low. Hoping Sand Job and summer might improve things! Cars will always lose value (with a few exceptions).

5. Sound. Test drive a few if noise is important.

6. Options. Matter of opinion possibly.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Kev

Post by Kev »

scm wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:30 am£60 cheaper than my 1.5 Almera!
A fine example of Man Maths at work
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

A lot of good points above. I'd also sit in one with and one without the pano roof to compare. I've driven F-Types without it and for me the pano roof was one of the deal breaking must haves.

Regarding the wheels 19" is probably the best option if you don't prioritise looks and performance and go for 20". I think 18" is the smallest you can fit but aesthetically is a bit too small for the F-Type.

The biggest upgrades during the lifetime of the F-Type came with the MY18 facelift so I'd get a MY18 or newer car to get the most up to date tech, seats and other bits and bobs.

If you can, get one with a clean history, which looks like it's been well looked after, from an official dealer and with the approved warranty.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

Kev wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:55 am
scm wrote: ↑Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:30 am£60 cheaper than my 1.5 Almera!
A fine example of Man Maths at work
More a fail of social engineering - overtaxing allegedly higher polluting cars. Now 1.5 vs 5.0? :?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

When my V6 started playing up I decided to replace it. A fairly dispassionate analysis brought the conclusion that living in the South, surrounded by 20mph limits, A roads progressively reduced to 40 and 50, overwhelming traffic, the surplus power of the V6 over the 2.0 was academic in the circumstances, and I could get more for my money with the 2.0. Also, the startup noise of the V6 was becoming embarrassing in a densely populated neighborhood. Yes, the 2.0 is quieter and it doesn’t have the theatre on the road, but it is still a very fast machine and it will not disappoint. I spent two days driving it around Millbrook and it was clear it has vast resources unused in normal driving. - and way beyond my capacity to exploit. It is definitely more nimble than the V6 and as a result is more fun on switchy roads at or under the speed limit. I’ve got the 20” wheels, 19 would I think be more comfortable and given our terrible roads the 18s would be better - and less prone to kerbing. Jaguar themselves rate the 2.0 on 18s the best handling of all the F- types. The 2.0 has a wide and flat torque band which makes for easy driving when you want it to be. You definitely want the pano roof, 10” infotainment, rear camera, auto folding mirrors, heated everything, if you can get one with BLIS do so, but the option seems very rare - three quarter view is poor and the BLIS would be a blessing. Same goes for the crossing traffic alert and automatic emergency braking. Pixel headlights excellent. Personally, I love the power hatch but many will mock that option. Avoid the keyless entry for the usual security reasons. MPG can reach 40+ but not if you are doing any more than mindless autopilot. Whatever, just buy a nice one and enjoy it. The joy of opening the garage door and seeing the beast in its lair never disappoints. Give in to the desire to caress it, it deserves it. Just gorgeous regardless of the power plant.
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

Well said Millwheel - the best F-type is the one you want and enjoy
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
Devcomm

Post by Devcomm »

Hi I have a f type 3.0s AWD 2016 model and a water leak, I am looking for a decent mechanic that has experience on working on this model to maybe remove the supercharger if necessary. I am in North Devon, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post