Interesting News Article…

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
WShudds

Post by WShudds »

Derivative wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:04 pm This won't have helped...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-68500233

I infer the 'throttle' must have stuck on as well otherwise it would have come to a halt relatively soon on a motorway with no power and just coasting.
Non-stop EV SUVs... Not sure that's the sort of innovative feature that JLR wants but it's certainly one that sets it apart.
MY18 Manual :o P340 R-Dynamic RWD Coupe, Caldera Red on 19˝ Centrifuge wheels. Pzero. Mods: Reverse camera, interior/puddle lights and tinted windows.

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Derivative wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:04 pm This won't have helped...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-68500233

I infer the 'throttle' must have stuck on as well otherwise it would have come to a halt relatively soon on a motorway with no power and just coasting.
I saw this article. Very odd as they are powerful (400bhp) twin motor cars so must have been cruise control or equivalent failing to cancel, else it would surely have throttled up to full speed of 124mph, or trundled along on idle
Scary even if nobody around on a motorway. Not good pr for JLR though
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

There have been few "unexplained accelerations" reported on the UK I-Pace forum, resulting in total loss of the car (not life, fortunately). Used to be ICEV autos where the driver stamps on the throttle by mistake to stop it. Maybe we can counter the "more ICEVs than EVs catch fire" with "more EVs than ICEVs run out of control". Though an ICEV running out of control will go a lot further before exhausting its fuel load! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I'm surprised pressing and holding the start button doesn't stop any car, except diesels?
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Jaguandy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:05 pm I'm surprised pressing and holding the start button doesn't stop any car, except diesels?
Or at least Ctrl + Alt + Del
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've read through the "unintended acceleration" articles on the ipace forums and various news articles. Also how the ipace pedals are slight to the left compared to usual cars.

I think I can make two statements without getting into trouble!

1) Car launches into something when driving at slow speeds.
If you could get a video of the rear of the car, I would expect to see the following: no brake lights, slight acceleration, massive acceleration, impact followed by brake lights.
= Wrong Pedal

2) Car acceleration not inputted by driver on open roads. If you read the statement from the full news article. I was driving along the motorway and after moving out to overtake, the car started to speed up and then slowed down before speeding up again this kept happening.
= Automatic cruise control is engaged

There isn't no way you can drive at the reported 90mph to 120mph for 35 minutes on a busy motorway with no control of speed with no brakes and no control of accelerator. And that's 35 minutes with the Police trying to sort it out. They must of covered more than 60 miles if you take into account the amount of time it would of took a police car to catch up. That has to be ACC controlling the speed otherwise they would of just crashed into the back of the first car. I would guess they had ACC enabled at 110mph as that explains the acceleration.

If the brake pedal wasn't working then ACC would continue to be engaged. If they switched off cruise then it would of glided to a nice steady stop.

Out of all the posts online from folks with unintended acceleration, none returned with a formal report or answer.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Agree ^ with your point 2. As per my previous post it had to be cruise control locking on.
Looking again at the photo in the article it doesn’t look like there was any heavy contact so I suspect the police simply ran in front and lowly lowered speed until the ACC slowed the car no a stop. Perhaps it disengaged at low speed and stopped. Other police around to hold back other traffic.
Shocking though to be unable to disengage manually nor by touching the brake pedal, or even knock auto into neutral..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Apparently it ran out of battery and slowed to a stop with light contact at the end for a full stop.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

simpleR wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:17 am Apparently it ran out of battery and slowed to a stop with light contact at the end for a full stop.
haha - that's a lucky escape and explains the lack of any real contact.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:17 am Apparently it ran out of battery and slowed to a stop with light contact at the end for a full stop.
That's one driver who won't be shouting for a lot more range to be available, then! ;)
Now, imagine if it was a self-drriving car? :shock:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post