Interesting News Article…

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Saw another one today where some minor celebrity had the brakes fail on theirs whilst approaching a red light. Didn't read the article, but it seems a lot of I Pace issues are coming to the surface recently.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire

scm

Post by scm »

A lot of "brake fail" is likely due to rotors rusting up due to "one-pedal driving" which relies on regen to slow the car. There's stuff about EVs that takes some getting used to - you can't drive them like an EV and then expect them to behave like an ICEV.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:13 pm A lot of "brake fail" is likely due to rotors rusting up due to "one-pedal driving" which relies on regen to slow the car. There's stuff about EVs that takes some getting used to - you can't drive them like an EV and then expect them to behave like an ICEV.
After close to 10,000 mlles on a full BEV I don't see this as an issue. For sure most braking is done as 1 pedal if you opt for that mode, but you still use the disk brakes frequently when anticipation isn't enough. You also need to press the pedal even to start the car, so that excercises the pistons.
It certainly takes getting used to 1 pedal driving, but you soon adapt to it, just as we do the manual Vs auto, diesel to petrol, etc.
Last edited by cj10jeeper on Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Back in 2018 I was at my dealer and they had an iPace in as a demo.
The test route they used was 9 miles around the block so to speak.
Salesman told me that on full charge after 9 miles (they were giving it the full beans) it had reduced to 35% so this incident does seem a bit strange.

For any body who thinks that EV's are environmentally friendly then google the "Polestar report on EV's" where they come clean (pardon the pun) about the true CO2 footprint from day one of manufacture and the additional 10-12 tons of CO2 that manufacturing the battery produces before it turns a wheel.
A new petrol car has a carbon footprint that's lower than an EV until it's done around 50,000 miles in this country with current electricity supply makeup.
A brief synopsis on the report from an Autocar article here:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/busi ... -emissions

There are a lot of incovenient truths about EV's.
A recent senate hearing in the US was told that if every country reached a target of 50% EV's on their roads by 2030 it would reduce global average temperatures by 2090 by 0.0002 % of one degree F.
EV's are not the answer and that's before you get into ethical questions about how Lithium is mined and other matters.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:34 pm
scm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:13 pm A lot of "brake fail" is likely due to rotors rusting up due to "one-pedal driving" which relies on regen to slow the car. There's stuff about EVs that takes some getting used to - you can't drive them like an EV and then expect them to behave like an ICEV.
After close to 10,000 mlles on a full BEV I don't see this as an issue. For sure most braking is done as 1 pedal if you opt for that mode, but you still use the disk brakes frequently when anticipation isn't enough. You also need the press the pedal even to start the car, so that exercises the pistons.
It certainly takes getting used to 1 pedal driving, but you soon adapt to it, just as we do the manual Vs auto, diesel to petrol, etc.
Agreed. I don't use one pedal driving on my iX3 as I'm just not a huge fan of having to slowly release the accelerator to make it smooth. I have tried it many many times though and there is no way you can consistently stay away from the brakes on any journey, especially in town. You would have to be purposely going out of your way and really trying hard to do it. There are just too many unforeseen braking events in everyday driving.

I think in reality most of the things that go wrong with BEV's also go wrong with ICE cars, it's just that there is this absolute hyper focus on EV's and a lot of people almost wanting them to fail. In the past few months I've seen 2 sets of photos of crashed Cybertrucks and one video of one stuck on a beach. Now I hate the Cybertruck, but how many other cars crash or get stuck and make the headlines because of it? It's because people are looking for that failure and jumping at the chance to post about it. In reality, BEV's are actually really good vehicles and great at what they do, and they do have a place in this world. That place is about 20-30% of vehicles on the road, where someone very very rarely does more than 200-250 miles a day and has a driveway and home charger. As such, only 20-30% of cars produced by manufacturers should be BEV... looking at you Jaguar *cough* back on topic, see what I did there *cough*
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

PhilB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:37 pm Back in 2018 I was at my dealer and they had an iPace in as a demo.
The test route they used was 9 miles around the block so to speak.
Salesman told me that on full charge after 9 miles (they were giving it the full beans) it had reduced to 35% so this incident does seem a bit strange.

For any body who thinks that EV's are environmentally friendly then google the "Polestar report on EV's" where they come clean (pardon the pun) about the true CO2 footprint from day one of manufacture and the additional 10-12 tons of CO2 that manufacturing the battery produces before it turns a wheel.
A new petrol car has a carbon footprint that's lower than an EV until it's done around 50,000 miles in this country with current electricity supply makeup.
A brief synopsis on the report from an Autocar article here:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/busi ... -emissions

There are a lot of incovenient truths about EV's.
A recent senate hearing in the US was told that if every country reached a target of 50% EV's on their roads by 2030 it would reduce global average temperatures by 2090 by 0.0002 % of one degree F.
EV's are not the answer and that's before you get into ethical questions about how Lithium is mined and other matters.
Wait, you're saying that they claimed the I-Pace went from 100% charge to 35% charge after 9 miles? If that's the case they either had a very defective car or I call bullshit on their part (not yours).

As you said, it varies based on where you live and where your electricity comes from, but you are correct that it does take a number of miles for an EV to become more environmentally friendly than an ICE car. However... they all still are more environmentally friendly eventually provided they don't get written off. Engineering Explained did the maths on it based on where he lives in the states and it came out that anything beyond about 35-40k miles and the EV was better. Mileage will vary a lot of course, but long term they are still better.

Every single study I see on the effect of EV cars is wildly different and that one is on the extreme extreme side of negative and frankly I don't buy it. If you look up where that number comes from, it was from the former general counsel of the USD of Transportation Steven Bradbury. His paper references the quote from a Bjorn Lomborg opinion piece in the wall street journal. Bjorn Lomborg is someone who makes a living by being "skeptical" about climate change and has been formally accused of of scientific misconduct by his colleagues and peers. Apparently he likes to cherry pick minor bits of data and performs some pretty shoddy statistical analysis to come up with some very "fantastical" numbers to help sell his books.

And I'm not even that big of a fan of EV's outside of my company car tax savings :lol:
WShudds

Post by WShudds »

I have a good contact in the component engineering team at JLR and he said they had carried out the comparison and the carbon emissions to produce an EV is 30% higher compared to an ICE car. You obviously won't see this data in the public domain.

On the subject of using 1 pedal, after 24 years of driving I could not transition from 3 to 2 never mind 1 😅
MY18 Manual :o P340 R-Dynamic RWD Coupe, Caldera Red on 19˝ Centrifuge wheels. Pzero. Mods: Reverse camera, interior/puddle lights and tinted windows.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

So apparently they've arrested the driver of the "run away" I Pace.
No detail on what they found, but apparently after the DVSA and Jaguar investigated it warranted an arrest.

Makes you wonder if he made the situation up to get out of being pulled over for speeding?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 20mph.html
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Dangerous driving and being a public nuisance!
And probably a law suit from JLR (if it was the USA).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post