Full comprehensive insurance or only mandatory insurance?

Anything F-Type related......

In the scenario described below which insurance would you take out for your F-type?

Full comprehensive insurance for 1800 £
80%
Only minimum mandatory insurance required by law for 300 £
10%
Something in between
10%

Total votes: 10

itsajaaaag

Post by itsajaaaag »

I'm wondering how high is F-type drivers risk tolerance. Meaning do you take out the full comprehensive insurance for your F-type every year or do you only take the minimum mandatory by law insurance?

Let's assume the former costs 1800 £ and the latter 300 £. With the latter it means of course that if you cause damage to your own car, you have to pay out of your own pocket to repair it.

It's a one year old car, currently valued at 70k £.

Let's assume you work from home and only do around 5000 miles per year. And you have Ghost immobiliser and GPS tracker installed.

Would you still buy full comprehensive insurance in this scenario? Or would you invest the 1500 £ difference in the stock market and this way offset the potential future repair costs?
Last edited by itsajaaaag on Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

scm

Post by scm »

Your fully comp assumption is much higher than I'm paying - it's nearer your third party value. Hope my next renewal doesn't match your estimates!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
itsajaaaag

Post by itsajaaaag »

scm wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:18 am Your fully comp assumption is much higher than I'm paying - it's nearer your third party value. Hope my next renewal doesn't match your estimates!
I'm not living in the UK, prices are different in Europe.
ianp

Post by ianp »

My fully comp is £634! Facile and irrelevant question.
F-TYPE P300 2019MY R-Dynamic, Santorini, 20" Diamonds, Climate, Park & Meridian Surround.
Pre: XE P250 2017MY R-Dynamic, Caesium.
Audio: Meridian 808v5, 861v4, DSP7.2k L/R, DSP5k C, DSP33 R & DSW 1500 Sub.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

itsajaaaag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am I'm not living in the UK, prices are different in Europe.
The majority of the members on here are in the UK.
This is like comparing apples to oranges as you are in Europe.
Also why start a poll ?
I'm sure members could reply on an ordinary thread .
itsajaaaag

Post by itsajaaaag »

The insurance prices in various countries is not an issue here. The issue here is my own scenario I described and anybody can answer no matter where they live. Can't hurt to hear your opinions, it's the off-topic forum anyway :)

I started a poll as most people can't be bothered to write replies, but they have no problem clicking an easy poll button.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Ignoring UK or EU I’d still pay the higher premium, because fully comp is far more than just self caused damage. Uninsured drivers crashing, car park bumps, vandalism, etc. plus of course
repair costs are so high and against the asset value of £70k, the risk to cost ratio is way too high.
If I can buy and stand the depreciation on £70k car I can pay to insure it properly.

As an aside you can judge the level of fully comp claims by the level of premium..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Unsure how things work in EU, but UK would also give you options on protected no claims, courtesy car, legal cover, uninsured drivers etc with fully comp.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

itsajaaaag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:24 pm Can't hurt to hear your opinions, it's the off-topic forum anyway :)
Not any more.
Insurance on the F-Type isn't realy an off topic subject.
Moved it to the main chat for you.
;)
itsajaaaag

Post by itsajaaaag »

Thanks for helping Phil! Hopefully more people will chime in with their views.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post