Variable capacity oil pump mode of operation

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Diditg

Post by Diditg »

Is there anyone on the forum who can describe the mode of operation of the variable capacity oil
pump on the later Aj126 engines.
I’ve had a look at the workshop manual and other than describing it as an electric oil pump ( which it isn’t as it’s driven by chain) and how to remove it, it singularly fails to mention anything to do with its operation or control compared to the mechanical pump.
I’ve also looked extensively online for information but turned up blank.
I’m guessing it’s controlled by the ECM and is load sensitive, rather than purely rpm sensitive.
What I’m trying to find out is if the electrical input which appears to be on two pins energises the solenoid to reduce volume/ pressure and / or if disconnected it will perform just like an ordinary mechanical pump.
Thanks in anticipation.

CSGMART

Post by CSGMART »

Diditg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:59 pm Is there anyone on the forum who can describe the mode of operation of the variable capacity oil
pump on the later Aj126 engines.
I’ve had a look at the workshop manual and other than describing it as an electric oil pump ( which it isn’t as it’s driven by chain) and how to remove it, it singularly fails to mention anything to do with its operation or control compared to the mechanical pump.
I’ve also looked extensively online for information but turned up blank.
I’m guessing it’s controlled by the ECM and is load sensitive, rather than purely rpm sensitive.
What I’m trying to find out is if the electrical input which appears to be on two pins energises the solenoid to reduce volume/ pressure and / or if disconnected it will perform just like an ordinary mechanical pump.
Thanks in anticipation.
I may be wrong but I understood that the F Type engine (certainly the 3.0) doesn't use this. I am basing this on a video series I watched from an American Youtuber (WatchJRGo) who purchased an F Type and had to buy a second hand engine. The first engine he bought had a variable oil pump but the original engine didn't so he had to find a suitable replacement.

The video in question is here:-
2018 V6 (380) F Type Convertible
Yulong White / Black Roof / Black Vents
Gyrodyne Wheels
Diditg

Post by Diditg »

Information I have is that post 2015 cars are fitted with the variable pump. Pre this MY are fitted with a traditional pump.
Certainly Jaguar parts show two different pumps etc
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

As you say, Jaguar parts show two different oil pumps etc for the 3.0L V6 (from 15MY they have a ‘twin stage oil pump’) as shown here....

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

On Pre 15MY (up to VIN K15251) the oil pump part number is C2Z28368.

15MY (from VIN K15252) and the ‘twin stage oil pump’ part number is AJ813913.

These any good to you?....
F-TYPE (X152) Engine Lubrication System - V6.pdf
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
F-TYPE (X152) Engine Control Module (ECM).pdf
(2.86 MiB) Downloaded 10 times

1.png

2.png

Last edited by RPSN on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Diditg

Post by Diditg »

RPSN wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:30 am As you say, Jaguar parts show two different oil pumps etc for the 3.0L V6 (from 15MY they have a ‘twin stage oil pump’) as shown here....

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

On Pre 15MY (up to VIN K15251) the oil pump part number is C2Z28368.

15MY (from VIN K15252) and the ‘twin stage oil pump’ part number is AJ813913.

These any good to you?....
Thanks for these, they are I believe part of the V6 repair manual which I’ve already studied. None of that manual makes any mention of the oil pump operation, except the section which describes the removal of the electric oil pump. I can only assume that the bulk of the manual was compiled for the early variants, but had the section for the removal of the electric oil pump added for later editions, but they didn’t change any of the other sections.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I got them from the numerous TOPIx documents that I have and most of them are for the 2015 F-TYPE (X152). Yes, I would imagine the bulk of the V6 repair manual that you’ve studied was compiled for the early variants with some additional information included later. Perhaps its been updated further since?

The TOPIx document (F-TYPE (X152) Engine Lubrication System - V6) that I provided shows the oil pump for the Pre 15MY (up to VIN K15251). It gives a detailed description of the oil pump operation but obviously the information that you require isn’t in it.

Hope you manage to find the answer to your question which relates to the ‘twin stage oil pump’ (Jaguar parts diagram terminology) on later V6 models i.e. from 15MY (VIN K15252 onwards).
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post